Delicious Dill Pickles:
Ingredients: Big glass Mason jar, Two 12 inch long cucumbers (you can also use baby cucumbers), fresh dill twigs, mustard seeds, whole black/colored peppercorn, Kosher salt, White wine vinegar, water, Coriander (optional) , Anise seed (optional), garlic cloves, Bay leaves.
0. Sterilize the jars: Take a big pot of hot water and bring to a boil. Then take your mason jar/s and sterilize them inside and out including the lids. Extremely important to avoid bad bacteria and germs.
1. Prep cucumbers: Take your cucumbers, cut off the ends (super important). Then cut into spears. See photo for details.
2. Pickling brine: Take 2 cups of water and 2 cups of white wine vinegar, and two tablespoons of pickling/kosher salt and put into a pot and bring to a boil. Stir to make sure all salt is fully melted. (adjust amount of water and vinegar based on size of jar. My jar required 3 cups of both).
3. Add spices to the jar: While the water is coming to a boil, take these spices and put at the bottom of the jar: 1 bay leave, 3 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp of peppercorn, 1 tsp of mustard seed, 1 dill twig, a pinch of coriander (optional) and a pinch of Anise seed (optional).
4. Add cucumbers & more spices: Take all of your cucumbers and stuff them into the jar as much as you can. Then add 1 tsp of peppercorn, 1 bay leave, 1 tsp of mustard seeds, 1 dill twig and 3 more crush garlic cloves to the top.
5. Pour in the brine: (salt, vinegar and water) over the pickles and make sure the pickles are fully submerged. Put the lid on and let sit until it gets to room temperature (generally 2-3 hours). If you want crunchier pickles, leave out for only 1 hour and then put into the fridge.
6. Stick it in the fridge for 18-24 hours and you will have delicious pickles!